HILC is committed to the full utilization of all human resources and to a policy of equal employment opportunities. It is our policy to hire the best-qualified applicant for a position without regard to any legally recognized basis including, but not limited to, race, color, religion, age, disability, gender, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, non-job related disabilities or veteran status.
Our staff is comprised mainly of people with disabilities as mandated by our funding sources and is given first priority for promotional advancement within our Center. Any openings not filled in this manner are then advertised with organizations specialized in, but not limited to: vocational rehabilitation, employment, disabilities, poverty, minorities, religion, etc. We endeavor to promote policies and practices that discourage and prevent discrimination in the workplace and incorporate independence within the disabled community.
At the present time, we have a staff composed as follows:
- Executive Director
- Associate Director
- Resource Specialist
- Office Coordinator
- Deafness Services Coordinator
- Special Projects Coordinator
- Benefits Advocate
Ninety percent of our staff has a disability, ranging from mental illness to sensory impairments, and have experienced both sides of the Independent Living Model - as consumers and advocates – making them exceptional in working as advocates, peers and mentors.
As a disability rights organization, mandated and in accordance with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and New York State Human Rights Law, we strive to promote equal access and reasonable accommodation to people with disabilities. Some of our accommodations are:
- Physical access: level-landing elevator, ramps with handrails, wide doorways, double-leaf doors, clear floor space with securely attached carpeting, grab bars, non-protruding surfaces and walls, audible and visual alarms, etc.
- Communication access: TTYs, CCTV (closed caption), sign language interpretation when hosting (upon request).
- Program access: alternative formats for all agency material: Braille, Large Print, etc.